What do your users want from your library? How can you improve library spaces, services and technology to meet their needs?
Find out by attending the free EIFL 90-minute webinar on Participatory Design.
Thursday 26 April 2012 at 11.00 UTC (12.00 London/Yaoundé, 14.00 Nairobi/Kyiv, 16.00 Tashkent/Maldives). You can check what time this is in your country by going to www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ which shows UTC beneath the list of cities
Who are the presenters?
- Nancy Fried Foster, an anthropologist from the University of Rochester (USA), has wide
ranging experience of helping librarians around the world to improve their services through an innovative collaborative user-centered design process. Nancy facilitates participatory design of eXtensible Catalog and other software and library projects at the University of Rochester’s River Campus Libraries.
- Sania Battalova is Director of Information Resources and Technology of the American University of Central Asia (Kyrgyzstan) where she supervises and manages university information technology and library resources. Sania has served two terms as a president of the Kyrgyz Libraries Information Consortium and is currently vice-president. She is also the EIFL country coordinator for Kyrgyzstan.
What will the webinar cover?
- What participatory design is, and why it's an effective tool to research library user behavior and modify library user space and technology in light of the research.
- Participatory design in action: a case study from the American University of Central Asia, Kyrgyzstan.
- Issues to consider in planning a participatory design project, including personnel and other resources.
Who should attend?
Library directors, librarians and IT staff interested in developing user-focused services.
How do I register?
Email rebecca.neilson [at] eifl.net providing the following:
- Your name:
- Your job title:
- Your institution:
- Your country:
- Your EIFL affiliation :
As EIFL is offering several webinars in the same week, please be sure to state the workshop TITLE (Participatory Design) in your email.
As usual, places are limited and priority will be given to people from EIFL member countries.
You can go to www.instantpresenter.com/systemtest at any time to check if your computer will be able to access the sessions successfully.
You do not need to have a microphone as we will be taking questions only via the text chat facility during the webinar.
Your questions and comments are encouraged and welcomed.