[sagreenstone] Greenstone and Excel files Re: turning LP library into digital form of library

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 11 15:32:26 EEST 2009

Dear all

off list I have been looking into this and also did Leonia share her
Excel data with me - to have someone's data really helps trouble
shooting.

We found out the following:

- a different FOSS solution than Greenstone suits the need for an
automated library catalogue (an ILS) better: see our other email from
today ; the FOSS Windows tool MARCEdit  [1]  can do the translation
for you from book descriptions in Excel to descriptions following the
so called MARC standard [2] - which then can be imported into FOSS
ILS packages

- as Amos already suggested:  the Greenstone plugin for Excel files
cannot handle the most recent Excel format ending in xslx ; but
neither does it understand the Excel format before that - we needed
to export from Excel into the even older Excel 95 before the plugin
was happy  (and don't forget to acknowledge Greenstone's suggestion
in the GLI that you need to add this specific plugin in the first place)
- very important: the Excel plugin just adds the Excel file *as such*
to your Greenstone collection. Not row for row of data *inside* your
Excel file. For that you need to look at the MetadataCSVPlug plugin
[3] and first use Excel to export from Excel to a so called CSV data
file which you then import into Greenstone

Repke

[1] http://oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php
[2] http://www.loc.gov/marc/
[3] http://wiki.greenstone.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Search?
search=MetadataCSVPlug&go=Go
Op 20-aug-2009, om 20:55 heeft Amos Kujenga het volgende geschreven: