[EIFLoa] IFLA-ITS/SET - Call for papers: Influence of IT on professional development in libraries
Alenka Kavčič - Čolić
Alenka.Kavcic at nuk.uni-lj.si
Tue Dec 20 15:04:35 EET 2011
*APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING*
Call for papers
WORLD LIBRARY AND INFORMATION CONGRESS: 78th IFLA General Conference and Assembly
“Libraries Now! - Inspiring, Surprising, Empowering"”
11-17 August 2012, Helsinki, Finland
IFLA Information Technology Section and Education and Training Section
Theme: Influence of IT development on professional development in libraries.
The recent information technology developments have huge impact on library operation and services. In the past we have dealt with the automation of library processes and integrated library systems. During the last few years, we can observe a breakthrough of all kind of mobile devices which are becoming another important gateway to library services. Open source software tools are also becoming a very important factor in the operation of libraries. We are wondering whether the librarians have enough knowledge and skills to deal with the information technology based environments. How do they respond to technology driven users? Do they need additional professional development? How do they respond to information technology based services demand? How the information technology influences the organizational change and culture in developing countries? Can we speak of new library professional profiles?
The Information Technology and Education and Training sections are seeking proposals for papers on the impact of information technology on professional development in libraries.
It is proposed to hold a 2hour session concentrating on policies and issues related to professional development and organizational change as response to the adoption of new technologies in libraries.
Areas of interest for papers include, but need not be restricted to, the following:
· IT education in the preparation of librarians and their continuing professional development
· Cooperation between IT people and librarians in library systems development
· Librarians’ communication skills and knowledge in information technology development
· Impact of change management produced by new technology on library staff
· Guided change management in view of IT introduction
· Library staff IT literacy and knowledge development
· New job definitions influenced by IT skills and knowledge
Proposals for papers should be no more than one page in length. Proposals should be based on a 20-minute presentation. The following information is also required:
- Name, title and institution of speaker(s)
- Title of proposed presentation
- Address and email address of speaker(s)
- Brief biographical statement about each speaker
- Language of presentation
- Contact person for response to proposal
Proposals should be sent to Alenka Kavcic-Colic alenka.kavcic at nuk.uni-lj.si<mailto:alenka.kavcic at nuk.uni-lj.si>, Information Technology Section.
Proposals should be submitted by 1st Feb 2011.
Authors are required to permit non-exclusive publication of papers chosen for this session on the IFLA website and digital library. Authors of papers not chosen for the conference may be invited to submit their paper for publication in the IFLA IT section journal.
The contact person for each proposal will be informed by the end of February 2012 whether or not their proposal has been successful. Papers, which must be in one of the official languages of IFLA, will be required by 15 May, 2012.
- Every paper will have to be presented in person by one of the authors at the WLIC in Helsinki.
- All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation can be issued to authors/presenters if that is required.
Dr. Alenka Kavcic-Colic
Head of the Research and Development Division and
Head of the Library Research Centre
National and University Library, Turjaska 1, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Tel. (+386-1) 2001131, Fax: (+386-1) 4257293
E-mail: alenka.kavcic at nuk.uni-lj.si<mailto:alenka.kavcic at nuk.uni-lj.si>, www.nuk.uni-lj.si<http://www.nuk.uni-lj.si/>
[cid:image001.png at 01CCBF20.4D6DEC50]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 940 bytes
Url : http://www.eifl.net/pipermail/eifloa/attachments/20111220/2f10f232/attachment-0001.png
More information about the eifloa