ABOUT THE AGREEMENT
The Oxford English Dictionary Online is the ultimate authority on the evolution of the English language over the last millennium. It traces the usage of words through over 3 million quotations from a wide range of international English language sources, from classic literature and specialist periodicals to film scripts and cookery books.
The OED Online also offers access to the Historical Thesaurus of the OED which enables users to explore themes, meanings and ideas through the history of English.
The Oxford English Dictionary Online is a guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words, both present and past.
- Definitions of 626,000 words from across the English-speaking world
- Etymological analysis, listing of variant spellings, pronunciation, quotations, date chart
- Includes access to the Historical Thesaurus of the OED
- Covers British, American and all varieties of global English, and all types of usage - from formal to slang
- Updated four times a year with thousands of new and revised meanings
- Learning resources: quizzes, word stories, exercises
- Search for words that have come into English from other languages, or during a particular period in history
- See how words have been used over time through over 3 million quotations from a wide range of international English language sources - from classic literature and specialist periodicals to film scripts and cookery books
- Counter-compliant usage statistics are available
- About OED Online
- About the Historical Thesaurus of the OED
- Librarian Resource Centre
- Help for subscribing institutions
- Information sheet on how to promote digital resources in your library