Technical system administration is an essential task for any organisation that is serious about building capacity to host their own open scholarly communication systems.
Checking server backups, server and network health and performing software upgrades are regular housekeeping tasks of DSpace system administrator. Disaster recovery is also a part a system administrator’s job.
Check out this webinar offered by EIFL, the Institute of Development Studies and Stellenbosch University on what DSpace system administration requires.
Hilton Gibson (Stellenbosch University, South Africa) shares useful tips on:
- How to build and install DSpace;
- Technical customisation of DSpace (not programming DSpace);
- How to monitor the server hardware and the network hardware;
- How to backup DSpace according to best system administration practice;
- How to restore the data and application in the case of a disaster.