ABOUT THE RESOURCE
DSpace is an open source software package that provides the tools for management of digital assets, and is commonly used as the basis for institutional repositories.
DSpace preserves and enables easy and open access to all types of digital content including text, images, moving images, mpegs and data sets.
DSpace is sustained and improved by DuraSpace.
Fedora (or Flexible Extensible Digital Object Repository Architecture) is a modular architecture built on the principle that interoperability and extensibility is best achieved by the integration of data, interfaces, and mechanisms (i.e. executable programs) as clearly defined modules.
Fedora is a digital asset management (DAM) architecture, upon which many types of digital library, institutional repositories, digital archives, and digital libraries systems are built.
Fedora is the underlying architecture for a digital repository, and is not a complete management, indexing, discovery, and delivery application. It is Java-based so potentially applicable to any platform.
The guest speakers at the workshop were:
- Bram Luyten, @mire - Institutional Repository Solutions, Belgium
- Hilton Gibson, Systems Administrator, JS Gericke Library, and Ina Smith, E-Research Repository Manager (SUNScholar), Library and Information Service, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- David Palmer, Scholarly Communications Team Leader, The University of Hong Kong Libraries, Hong Kong
- Andrius Blažinskas, Senior programmer, Information Systems Department, Kaunas University of Technology, Lithuania
- Paolo Budroni and Raman Ganguly, of the Computer Centre, University of Vienna
- Africa Bwamkuu from KIT, the Royal Tropical Institute of the Netherlands (Africa's presentation was delivered by Simon Ball)
- Slides in PDF format of Bram Luyten's presentation.
titanpad.com/eifl-foss-dspace-fedoraView the Q&A wiki, including links provided by the presenters.
Download the PowerPoint presentations featured in the session:
- Bram Luyten's presentation
- Ina Smith and Hilton Gibson's presentation
- David Palmer's presentation
- Andrius Blazinskas' presentation
- Raman Ganguly's presentation
- Paolo Budroni's presentation and associated poster
- Africa Bwamkuu's presentation
- Download page
- Licence: BSD
- User community
- wiki.duraspace.org/display/FCCWG/Home Developer community>