The American University in Cairo (AUC) Libraries and Learning Technologies, in cooperation with the Center for Learning and Teaching, and the Access to Knowledge for Development Center are hosting the first Open Access Days at AUC.
The aim is to promote open access to researchers in Egypt and the Middle East, and to plant a seed for future initiatives.
EIFL-OA Programme Manager Iryna Kuchma will attend and will speak on a panel on Open Access Initiatives on a Regional and Global Scale on April 27, 2014, together with Abel Packer from the Scientific Electronic Library Online (SciELO) Network.
On April 28, 2014, Iryna will also speak about International Open Access Policy Landscape and Why You Should Take Action Now.
Other presentation will include:
- Ahmed Hindawi, founder and chief executive officer of Hindawi Publishing Corporation, will speak about Open Access Journal Publishing: The Business Model of an Egyptian Success Story on April 24, 2014.
- Meggan Houlihan and Mark Muehlhaeusler (AUC) will talk about What is Open Access? Student Edition and Faculty Edition on April 27, 2014.
- Abel Packer will talk about SciELO Strategy to Increase Visibility of Developing and Emerging Countries Journals on April 27, 2014.
- Hala El Salmawi (Bibliotheca Alexandrina), Seif Abou Zeid (Tahrir Academy) and Ahmed Hussein (Open Egypt) will speak on a Panel on Open Access in the Arab world moderated by Nadine Weheba (A2K4D, AUC) on April 27, 2014.
- Ryder Kouba (DAR Representative, LLT, AUC), Ahmed Mostafa (Department of Biology, AUC), Ramy Aziz (PLOS One and Cairo University) and Mark Muehlhaeusler (LLT, AUC) will be panelists on Disseminate Your Research on April 27, 2014.
- Sherif Kassas (CS, AUC), Hoda Mostafa (CLT/SSE, AUC), Nagham el Houssamy (A2K4D, AUC), Mark Muehlhaeusler/Jayme Spencer (LLT, AUC) and Laura Bradford (AUC) will speak on a Panel on Copyright on April 28, 2014.
- Ramy Aziz (PLOS One and Cairo University) will talk about Choosing a (Journal) Partner for Life on April 28, 2014.
- Mark Muehlhaeusler Open Journal System (OJS) Workshop on April 28, 2014.
- Panel on Tenure and Altmetrics will take place on April 30, 2014.
The events will be open to scholars, students and staff at AUC and other academic institutions free of charge. Registration form is here.
Twitter hashtag #aucoa
AlFanarMedia - News and opinion about Arab higher education - has published an article Take Advantage of Open-Access Publishing by Maha Bali and Mark Muehlhaeusler to promote the event.