|Home||Who we are||What we do||Where we work||News, events & media||Contact us|
EIFL-OA: open access
Removing barriers to knowledge sharing
Most research is published in commercial e-journals, but high subscription costs mean that users in developing and transition countries are disadvantaged.
We advocate for open access to promote knowledge sharing.
EIFL-OA in action ...
- Building capacity to launch open access repositories and to ensure their long-term sustainability. Learn more about repositories
- Offering training, supporting knowledge sharing, and providing expertise on open access policies and practices (open access journals, open access repositories, open access books, open data and open educational resources). See EIFL training events and presentations
- Empowering librarians and library professionals, scholars, educators and students to become open access advocates. See OA advocacy
- Advocating nationally and internationally for the adoption of open access policies and mandates.
- The EIFL Open Access (OA) programme has been chosen as the winner of the 2011 SPARC Europe Award for Outstanding Achievements in Scholarly Communications. Read more here.
- In 2013, the Accelerating Science Award Program (ASAP) selected EIFL to be one of seven high-impact Open Access organizations, among public action advocates. Read more here.
- EIFL-OA and partner countries outreach efforts have led to higher visibility and impact of scholarly publications, international co-operation, and community building.
- There are 680+ open repositories and 3,400+ open access journals in EIFL partner countries.
- Open access policies that ensure that research funded by institutions is made freely available have now been adopted by 47 institutions in the EIFL network.
- There are EIFL-OA Coordinators is all EIFL partner countries that benefit from EIFL training and support in order to conduct national awareness raising and advocacy campaigns.
- EIFL –OA plays a leading role in advocacy at the international level; we are a founding member of the Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR) and a member of Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA); a partner in the following European Commission funded projects: FOSTER (Facilitate Open Science Training for European Research), OpenAIREplus project (2nd Generation of Open Access Infrastructure for Research in Europe), and PASTEUR4OA (Open Access Policy Alignment Strategies for European Union Research).
- EIFL-OA organised 121 awareness raising, advocacy and capacity building events and workshops in 2003-2013 in 41 countries with participants from over 50 countries. 52,359 people attended training events organized by EIFL-OA and EIFL partner consortia in 2012.
- EIFL-OA released Results of the SOAP Survey: A Preliminary Overview of the Situation in EIFL Partner Countries, Report on the implementation of open content licenses in developing and transition countries and Report on Open Repository Development in Developing and Transition countries (PDF version) and the data (PDF version).
EIFL-OA Programme Manager: Iryna Kuchma, iryna.kuchma[at]eifl.net
Join the eifloa - EIFL-Open Access program announcement and discussion mailing list
Join the eiflrussian - Russian speaking EIFL community mailing list